Murach's Java Programming
by Joel Murach
23 chapters, 802 pages, 340 illustrations
Published November 2011
Book price: $57.50; SAVE 30%, now just $40.25
eBook price: $47.50; SAVE 30%, now just $33.25
Book + eBook: $67.50; Best Value! SAVE 30%, now just $47.25
"I love your Java book. It cuts right to the essential information,
providing the perfect balance between too many details
and too little information. I bought another well-known
Java book, but I spent several hours trying to learn
what I learned from your book in about 45 minutes."
That's what one developer wrote us about an earlier
edition of our core Java book. Now, you can expect that
same practical, time-saving approach in the current
edition that covers the latest release of Java Standard Edition, Java
SE 7 (or JDK 1.7).
And to make training even easier for you, this book now shows you how to develop Java programs using NetBeans, a popular, professional IDE that will boost your productivity at every step.
What to expect from this book
- Get a quick start: You'll be writing your first complete Java applications at the end of chapter 2!
- Build realistic applications: By the end of chapter 5, you'll know how to use Java classes, objects, and methods to write bulletproof applications that use custom methods to validate user input. That gets you off to a fast start in Java whether you're a beginner or have years of programming experience.
- Save work with NetBeans: Starting from chapter 1, you'll take advantage of the time-saving features that an IDE provides as you use NetBeans to create, compile, run, test, and debug Java applications.
- OOP made clear: Section 2, on object-oriented programming, cuts through the mystery of inheritance, polymorphism, and the factory pattern so you can learn how to create and use sophisticated business and data access classes. At that point, you'll know how to develop real-world, object-oriented, business applications.
- Expand your core Java skills: In section 3, you'll learn more of the core Java features that you'll use all the time, like how to work with arrays, dates, strings, exceptions, enhanced for loops, try-with-resources, and more! Because each chapter in this section is independent of the others, you can add these skills to your resume whenever you need them.
- Create user-friendly GUIs: Section 4 shows you how to use the popular Swing GUI Builder that comes with NetBeans to develop GUI applications. Here, you'll learn how to handle events, validate data, and populate objects to create applications that aren't just useful, but easy-to-use as well.
- Handle stored data the professional way: To complete your OOP training, section 5 shows you how to write data access classes that store the data for objects in a file or database. Here, then, you'll learn how to: work with text, binary, and XML files; embed an Apache Derby database in an application; and use JDBC to work with any database.
- Raise your skills to a new level: Section 6 shows you how to work with threads and how to deploy your finished applications using executable JAR files or Java Web Start.
- Gain the essential Java skills you need for Android development: This book is becoming a favorite among developers who are moving into Android programming. Chapters 1-14 and 18-22 deliver the prerequisite Java skills you need, whether you're looking for a refresher or a first course in Java.
3 reasons why you'll learn faster and better with our book
Like all our books, this one has features that you won't find in competing books, even though they accelerate and improve training. Here are just 3 of those features.
- This book presents complete, business-level applications, like the one in chapter 16: a Product Maintenance application with a graphical user interface that uses presentation classes, business classes, and database classes. Applications like this are the missing ingredient in most Java books, but it's impossible to master Java development without them.
- All of the information is presented in our paired-pages format, with the essential syntax, guidelines, and examples on the right page and the perspective and extra explanation on the left. This makes the book faster to use both for training and for reference later on. (If you haven't used one of our books before, download a free chapter to see for yourself how well our paired pages work.)
- The chapter exercises give you a chance to try out what you've just learned and to gain valuable, hands-on experience in Java programming. And because you can download the starting code and data, you don't have to start each exercise from scratch. That gives you the maximum amount of practice in a minimum of time.
Our 100% Guarantee
First, try our
books for 60 days. Then, if you aren't completely
convinced that our books are the best ones you've
ever used, you can return them for a prompt refund...no