About our eBooks
- Our eBooks are delivered by VitalSource, the industry leader. If you haven’t used VitalSource eBooks before, you’ll quickly see that they are not only easy to use but also provide all the features that you might want, including features like searching, highlighting, bookmarking, and adding notes.
Why you should install and use VitalSource Bookshelf on your computer
- Although you can access and read your eBooks at the VitalSource website, the online version of Bookshelf simply doesn’t work the way you want it to. In particular, it doesn’t let you display facing pages so you don’t get the instructional benefits of our “paired pages” approach. Besides that, the online versions of VitalSource eBooks expire after 365 days.
- That’s why we recommend that you install and use Bookshelf on a Windows or Mac computer with the Page Layout set to Facing Pages. That way, you not only get the full benefit of our “paired pages” formatting, but also get all the features of Bookshelf. In fact, we believe that if you use our VitalSource eBooks in this way, they work even better than our print books.
- In case you missed it earlier: When you read our VitalSource eBooks online at the VitalSource website, the eBooks expire after 365 days. However, they don’t expire if you read them with an offline version of Bookshelf. That’s another reason for using an offline version of Bookshelf.
Legacy support for LockLizard eBooks
- If you ordered eBooks before August 17, 2017, we fulfilled them with LockLizard eBooks, and you will still be able to download and read those eBooks using a LockLizard reader. For more information, please go to Legacy support for LockLizard eBooks (below). A better alternative, though, is to buy the latest edition of the book as a VitalSource eBook.
How to get your Murach eBooks from VitalSource
How to get your first Murach eBook from VitalSource
- When your order your first Murach book from VitalSouce, we will send you an email that provides a link to the VitalSource website. Then, you need to click on that link to go to the VitalSource website and activate your account.
- At the VitalSource website, you’ll see a page like this:
Then, if you already have a VitalSource account, you enter the email address for your account. And if you don’t have a VitalSource account, you enter the email address you want to use for your new VitalSource account.
- If you already have a VitalSource account when you sign in, you will next see a dialog box like this:
Then, after you enter your password, the online version of Bookshelf is displayed with the books that you’ve purchased in it.
- If you don’t already have a VitalSource account when you sign in, you will be asked to register for your account:
Then, after you register, the online version of Bookshelf is displayed with the books that you’ve purchased in it.
How to install an offline version of Bookshelf
- After you sign in to Bookshelf on the VitalSource website, you may see a dialog box like this:
- Then, you can download and install an offline version of Bookshelf on the device you’re using by clicking on the link for it. If, for example, you’re using a Windows computer, you click on the PC link. If you’re using an Android tablet, you click on the Android link.
How to access other Murach eBooks
- After you’ve used Bookshelf to access your first Murach eBook, you can access any other Murach eBooks that you buy from the online version of Bookshelf at the VitalSource website or from any offline version of Bookshelf.
How to use the online version of Bookshelf
How to access your eBooks
- When you sign into Bookshelf on the VitalSource website, the opening page displays the books that you’ve purchased, like this:
- If all of the books that you purchased aren’t shown, you can select Update Library from the Tools menu.
How to open and display an online eBook
- To open one of the eBooks, you can click on it:
- Then, you can use the controls at the left and bottom of the screen to work with the eBook. However, you can’t control the size of the book page, except by adjusting the size of the browser, and you can’t display facing pages.
Why we recommend that you use an offline version of Bookshelf
Simply stated, the online version has many flaws. In particular,
- It doesn’t let you display facing pages so you can’t take advantage of our “paired pages” presentation method.
- You have to be connected to the Internet to use it.
- The online versions of VitalSource eBooks expire after 365 days, but the offline versions don’t.
How to use an offline version of Bookshelf
How to install an offline version of Bookshelf
- To install an offline version of Bookshelf, you start from the Home page of the online version of Bookshelf, and you click on the toolbar button that’s shown below. Then, you click on the Download button to download the offline version of Bookshelf for the device that you’re using.
- When you install and start the offline version of Bookshelf for a Windows or Mac computer, all of the VitalSource eBooks that you’ve bought will be displayed like this:
- If all of the books aren’t shown, you can select Update Book List from the Account menu. Then, if necessary, you can click All Titles in the Collections pane on the left side of Bookshelf.
How to open and display an eBook on a computer
- To open one of the books, double-click on it. Then, you can experiment with the controls in the toolbar to see how easy it is to to search, navigate, highlight, bookmark, add notes, and more. In the example that follows, the Navigation panel is displayed so you can easily move around in the book. And Page Layout is set to Continuous so you can scroll through the book:
- To change the display of a book, you can use the drop-down list for Page Layout in the toolbar. Here, for example, is the Bookshelf display for a Windows computer with Page Layout set to Facing Pages and the Navigation panel hidden:
- This of course is the layout that we recommend for our books because it lets you get the most from our “paired pages” presentation method. To page through the sets of paired pages when the Navigation panel is hidden, you can press the PgUp and PgDn keys.
How to use our eBooks on tablets
- Bookshelf for tablets works similarly to Bookshelf for a computer. Here, for example, is a figure page from one of our books in Bookshelf for the iPad:
- Here again, if you experiment with the controls at the top and bottom of the page, you’ll see how easy it is to search, navigate, highlight, bookmark, add notes, and more.
How to use our eBooks on mobile phones
- You can download and install Bookshelf for a phone in the same way that you download and install Bookshelf for a tablet. You can also open and display your eBooks in the same way.
- In general, though, we don’t recommend using Bookshelf on a phone because you lose the instructional benefits that you get from our “paired pages.” For some types of review, however, Bookshelf on a phone can work quite well.
Our recommendations for using our VitalSource eBooks
Download and use an offline version of Bookshelf
- Since the offline versions of Bookshelf for Windows and Mac computers work better than the online reader, it’s worth taking the time to install an offline version. That also means you don’t have to be connected to the Internet to access your eBooks. And it means that your eBooks won’t expire after 365 days.
Use the Facing Pages layout on larger screens
- If the device you’re using for an offline version of Bookshelf has a screen that’s large enough to support Facing Pages, use that layout when you’re reviewing our books. That will help you see how effective our “paired pages” presentation method is for technical instruction.
- But remember that Facing Pages are only supported by the offline versions of Bookshelf for Windows and Macs.
Take advantage of our “paired pages” on tablets
- On tablets, you can’t display both pages in a pair, but you can display one full page at a time. Just remember that each text page in our books is matched with a facing figure page. As a result, you can switch back and forth between text and figure just by going back and forth between pages.
Legacy support for LockLizard eBooks
A better alternative, though, is to buy the latest edition of the book as a VitalSource eBook. That way, you’ll get all of the benefits that VitalSource eBooks offer.
How to install and register a LockLizard ViewerBefore you can read a LockLizard eBook on a device, you need to:
- Download and install the LockLizard Viewer for the device.
- Register the Viewer.
- Download the eBook and open it in the Viewer.
- Go to your My Account page on our Retail web site.
- Click on the “Legacy eBook Instructions” tab.
- Follow the instructions in that tab.
How to download one of your LockLizard eBooks from our websiteIf you’ve already installed and registered a LockLizard Viewer on your device, you can download a LockLizard eBook to that device by using this procedure:
- Go to your MyAccount page on our website.
- Open the invoice for the LockLizard purchase and click on the Download Now button for the book.
For more information
- Please download our LockLizard eBooks PDF.