How our eBooks work
- Our eBooks are encrypted and protected so you can’t share them with colleagues.
- When you buy our eBooks, you get the right to use them on up to three devices, including any combination of Windows computers or tablets (Surface), Macs, iPads, iPhones, and Android devices.
- To read our eBooks on each device, you need to install and activate a special Viewer from a company called LockLizard. Each installation should take just a couple of minutes, and you only need to do it once on each device, no matter how many of our eBooks you buy.
- Once you’ve installed and activated a Viewer on a device, you don’t need to enter a user name or password to view our eBooks. The authorization is done automatically.
- The LockLizard Viewers for Windows computers, Macs, iPads, and Android tablets work well for reading our eBooks. They have useful search features. And all of our eBooks have built-in bookmarks that make it easy to access their chapters and topics.
Three other points that you should be aware of
- Although you can read our eBooks offline, you need to be connected to the Internet once every 30 days when you open one of our eBooks. That keeps the eBook active. Of course, if you’re connected to the Internet all the time, this isn’t an issue.
- The license of a Viewer is associated with your email address. So if you want to read all of your eBooks with the same Viewers, be sure to use the same email address for all of your orders.
- You can't print.
What you can’t do with our LockLizard Viewers
Unlike Adobe Reader, our LockLizard Viewers don’t let you:
- Cut-and-paste from our eBooks to your documents
- Add your own notes or comments to the pages
- Run the Viewers in Citrix, Windows Terminal Server, and other virtual environments
- Run on the Linux operating system
Although you can’t cut-and-paste the code from our eBooks, remember that you can download the applications for each of our books and then cut-and-paste the code from those applications into your own applications.
Why we recommend our print and eBook combinations
Like most technical books, our books are more effective in print than as eBooks. But that’s especially true for our books due to their unique “paired pages” format.
That’s why we recommend our print and eBook combinations, which cost just a little more than the print books by themselves. That way, you can use our print books as your primary medium for training and reference, and you can use our eBooks for searching, reading, and reference when can’t carry the print books with you.